Saturday, June 11, 2011

Everett turns 1!

Many changes have happened in the last year.  To summarize:

Changes in Everett:
1) He has acquired many nicknames, including Mr. Bagoo, many things ending in -potamus like Snoozopotamus, Wigglepotamus, etc., depending on the circumstances, One-Tooth-Wonder, and Grumpzilla (only when he's grumpy of course).
2) He has learned to interact and copy us, mimicking sounds and gestures.
3) He has developed a personality...full of energy, determined, but also cautious.

Changes in Us:
1) I have developed a keen sense of choking-hazard-radar.  I now see the world as a dichotomy: things that can be choked on, and things that cannot be choked on.
2) I worry about everything, all the time (ok, I did this before Everett, but it's worse now).  I worry about kidnapping, his language development, confidence, social skills, eating habits, sleeping habits, discipline, and of course, choking (see number 1 above).
3) We spend most of our time talking about Everett--what he accomplished today, what didn't go well, and so on. 
4) We have come to appreciate those sacred 2-3 hours in the evening after Everett goes to bed, in a way we never did before.  Of course we love hanging out with Everett, but it is also a real treat to have time to unwind, watch TV, and talk about our days together.
5) I finally understand what people mean when they say, "they grow up so quickly." No kidding.

What hasn't changed:
1) My belly.  Oh well.  I like to think it's been "broken in."
2) Kyle and I still like each other, most of the time.
3) We still want another one someday, so we must have survived.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

My favorite part of this post is "What Hasn't Changed." Yeah for making it a year! We enjoyed the party yesterday. Thanks for having us :)

Post a Comment