Sunday, May 22, 2011

Yes, we are crazy

When we went looking for houses, we told our realtor we wanted a 3-bedroom house in a good part of town, and no fixer-uppers.  We saw many houses that fit this description...there was the "no-heat-upstairs house," the "yellow house," the "dentist's house," and the "pottery barn house," and any of these probably would have been just fine.  But the last house we saw was a 4-bedroom bank-owned house that was definitely a fixer-upper (Kyle posted a picture in an older post).  We named it the "wallpaper house," because it is completely covered in positively atrocious floral wallpaper.  As we were leaving this house that day, our realtor told us to put together a list of houses we wanted to see again the next day.  Kyle said "I definitely want to see this one again," which prompted me to glare at him in complete puzzlement.  This was not the house we came here looking for, it needs work, etc.  But when we went through houses again the next day, we were comparing all of them to the wallpaper house.  And when we sat contemplating this decision over fish tacos that night, and realizing that we were going to buy this house, we found the conversation centering around the question, "Is this crazy?"  The answer to that question is YES.  But I think crazy is really a continuum from safe (a.k.a boring) to certifiably crazy (a.k.a dangerous), and somewhere in the middle is a spot that could be described as just crazy enough, as in absolutely worth doing.

2 comments:

Anton Harfmann said...

Doesn't seem so crazy to me and I'm sure that in 10 years when you look back it will be clear that it was a wise choice.

Melissa said...

I'm so excited that you started a blog! We can't wait to keep up with you guys this way. How fun! And as a side note, I don't think you're crazy either!

Post a Comment