Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We're doing this

This last weekend was a turning point for us because it was the first one that really felt normal. We've been living here for 6 weeks (boy, it feels longer than that), and in the car on the way home from church Sunday Kyle said, "You know, Kristen, we're doing this." He was right, but it caught me off guard because that comment seemed both completely obvious but also a little bit profound. In the last 6 weeks we've been bombarded with novelty everywhere we turn, and there have been days when I have just wished that something could be old and boring for a change. What was refreshing and rejuvenating about this weekend was that it felt normal, finally.

On Friday night we went for pizza on the farm, which was a truly unique and kind of awesome experience. It was one of those things that you've heard happens in small towns, but you'd have to see it to believe that things like this really happen somewhere in the world. I was actually impressed that when we first got there I didn't recognize anyone, but by the time we left I had seen 5 other professors and one of Everett's daycare teachers there. Then Saturday morning we had oatmeal pancakes and coffee from Kenapocomocha (cutest coffee shop ever) in town, got an oil change in Fort Wayne, and went to the Science Division picnic in Warsaw. Sunday we went to church, went out for bagels, went grocery shopping, bought some paint, and I did some teaching prep.

There are a few things I'm starting to love about our new routine...I LOVE my schedule at work...LOVE that I can leave work, pick up Everett, and be home in about 10 minutes, having driven maybe 2 miles...LOVE that the College really seems to be full of genuinely good and sincere people, one of whom is my mentor who I had lunch with today. It seems like we may finally be settling in a bit up here, finally realizing that we're doing this, and it seems to be working.

1 comment:

The Carneys said...

Moving is really hard, but you guys ARE making it. Great work! Hang in there, it keeps getting better when you are where you need to be.

Post a Comment