Saturday, May 19, 2012
Summer is here!
This week finally felt like summer, in a big way! Here are some of the things that made us sit back and realize that it has truly arrived:
1) Everett came home sweaty and dirty every day this week. When I say dirty, I mean he looked like a chimney sweep--black hands, knees, and face. But of course I didn't mind, because he was also smiling and having a good time, and running around the playground with his friends. This just means that our every-other-night bath routine has quickly turned into an every-night routine, which is fine because he loves bathtime!
2) We are going to the farm for our farmshare vegetables! On Wednesday we picked lettuce, radishes, asparagus, thyme, and kale. So this week we have cooked an asparagus/thyme frittata, kale chips to go with black bean burgers, and we've had several good, fresh salads. It has been such a treat to have real locally-grown produce, and to be forced to try thing we'd never buy in the store (kale, for instance).
3) I used Everett as my alarm clock in the mornings. Once my finals were over on Monday, I no longer needed to get up early and be at school by 8am, so I just let Everett wake me up. I love summer schedules!
4) We had pizza at the farm last night, and it was delicious. We met 3 other college couples there and sat on blankets enjoying a spinach & feta and a pepperoni pizza. They sold out within an hour and a half, because it was a perfect night to sit outside enjoying locally sourced brick oven pizza. Everett also got to see chickens (cluck cluck) and some baby ducks. We'll be back many times this summer, I'm sure!
5) I had to put sunscreen on Everett before we went outside this morning, and I had to be careful that he didn't get too hot with all the playing outside. Tonight we took him to the park and actually brought him home early because his face was bright red and he was all sweaty and asking for juice. He looked awfully cute though, and he had that sweaty-little-boy smell that gave me visions into our future when he plays soccer or teeball!
All in all, we're really happy to get to enjoy our first Indiana summer, and there is a lot to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment